What is sclerotherapy
Sclerotherapy is a medical procedure used to treat varicose veins and “spider veins.” This method of varicose veins treatment is based on injection of a solution (generally sodium chloride) directly into the vein, which causes the vessels to swell and stick together and the blood to clot. An elastic bandage is wrapped snugly around the legs after the procedure. Over time vessels turn into scar tissue that fades out in a few weeks.
Sclerotherapy allows not only cosmetic effect but also prevention of varicose veins development. Required number of procedures depends on veins affection – from 1 to 5 (2-3 on average). Procedure duration is 15-45 minutes. Injection sclerotherapy can be an excellent alternative to surgery, provided the patient’s venous system is not affected.
What patients needs to know about sclerotherapy
- It is preferable to undergo sclerotherapy in the middle of menstrual cycle
- You must inform the doctor about intake of hormone drugs
- You should stop taking aspirin and other anticoagulants a week before the procedure
- Do not drink alcohol and smoke for 2 days before and after sclerotherapy
Before the sclerotherapy procedure
- Avoid hair removal procedures
- Take a hygienic shower, wash the legs with common or antibacterial soap
- It is recommended to go to the treatment in comfortable wide clothes and shoes taking into account wearing an elastic bandage
After the sclerotherapy procedure
- It is necessary to walk for 10-30 minutes. In the future it is recommended to walk for at least one hour daily.
- It is prohibited to take hot bath for two weeks and visit spa or sauna for 1.5-2 months.
- During the whole term of treatment do not visit gym and engage in fitness.
Note! After the procedure a special elastic bandage or compressive bandage is applied on the leg. You should wear this bandage 24 hours a day during the whole course of treatment.
Lifestyle after treatment
- Medical check at least once or twice a year
- Intake conservative therapy treatments recommended by your doctor
- Exercise regularly (walk, swim); wear compressive underwear when working out in the gym; avoid sports that involve high pressure on legs (tennis, weightlifting, high jumps)
- Wear shoes with medium heels (4-5 cm)
- Control your weight
- Avoid taking too hot baths, visiting saunas, long stay in the sun; rinse your legs with cool water after warm bath or shower.
If you have more questions about a sclerotherapy procedure, feel free to contact us.